Share |

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Night (Night Trilogy 1) by Elie Wiesel

Night (Night Trilogy 1) by Elie Wiesel: "Night is Elie Wiesel's masterpiece, a candid, horrific, and deeply poignant autobiographical account of his survival as a teenager in the Nazi death camps. This new translation by Marion Weisel, Elie's wife and frequent translator, presents this seminal memoir in the language and spirit truest to the author's original intent. And in the substantive new preface, Elie Wiesel reflects on the enduring importance of Night and his lifelong, passionate dedication to ensuring that the world never forgets man capacity for inhumanity to man. Night offers much more than a litany of the daily terrors, everyday perversions, and rampant sadism at Auschwitz and Buchenwald; it also eloquently addresses many of the philosophical as well as personal questions implicit in any serious consideration of what the Holocaust was, what it meant, and what its legacy is and will be."


Memorable Quotes
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim”
“Those who kept silent yesterday will remain silent tomorrow”
“"What do you care what he said? Would you want us to consider him a prophet?" His cold eyes stared at me. At last, he said wearily: "I have more faith in Hitler than in anyone else. He alone has kept his promises, all his promises, to the Jewish people."”
“From the depths of the mirror,a corpse was contemplating me. The look in his eyes as he gazed at me has never left me.”
“Behind me, I heard the same man asking:'For God's sake, where is God?' And from within me, I heard a voice answer: 'Where he is? This is where- hanging here from this gallows...' That night, the soup tasted of corpses.”

No comments: